This is the first of a fortnightly blog post that I will be contributing and it’s going to be all about food. Why? Because I love food and apparently after tasting a slice of my Kahlua Salted-caramel Cheesecake (recipe will be in a future post) Sue and Cheryl thought I should be sharing my recipes.
Some of the recipes are from my head, others are compiled from various sources and then, there will be the ones that I try out from Facebook. I am addicted to the short little video recipes that have become so popular.
I went to Aldi the other day for steak but then I saw these beautiful duck breast and I couldn’t resist – so here is my Duck a l’orange inspired dish. Which by the way, my 9 year old daughter loved!!
Crispy Skin Duck with Orange Sauce
1/4 onion diced (you could use eschallots)
1 cup orange juice (I happen to own an orange tree, but the freshly squeeze stuff in the bottle would be fine)
2 Duck Breasts
Salt and Pepper
Prepare the Sauce:
- Melt the butter over a medium heat until frothy (but not brown)
- Add the onion and saute until they become clear and the butter is frothy and slightly brown
- Add the juice and simmer until the sauce is at the consistency that you like (I prefer it my thick)
- Turn the heat off until needed
You could definitely make this sauce earlier, keep it in the fridge and reheat it when you are ready for it deliciousness.
Let’s Cook Daffy:
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Slice into the duck making sure to cut into the layer of fat
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Add the duck, skin side down to a cold fry-pan and then turn the heat to medium high. This allows the fat to rendered out as the pan heats up.
- When you hear the sizzle, cook the breast for a further 5 minutes
- Turn the duck over and transfer to the oven for 5-8 minutes
- Let the duck breast for about 3 mins, while you heat up the sauce
- Slice and serve it whatever you like. I opted for a green salad and toasted Turkish bread. Yum!!
Please feel free to comment with any questions you have about the recipe and if you try it, send me a pic and let me know how you went.