Familial Hypercholesterolemia – Nurse Education Update

Familial Hypercholesterolemia – Nurse Education Update

  How many people do you know who have been advised they have ‘high cholesterol? What do you know about familial hypercholesterolemia?  Did you know that “Familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) is an autosomal dominant-inherited genetic disorder that leads to elevated blood cholesterol levels. FH may present as severely elevated total cholesterol and low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels or as premature coronary heart disease (CHD).

According to the enclosed research article published in the Ochsner  Journal in 2014, “FH may present as severely elevated total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (LDL-C) levels or as premature coronary heart disease (CHD). An estimated 5% of myocardial infarctions (MIs) in patients <60 years and 20% of MIs in patients <45 years are attributable to FH. Men with FH have a 50% chance of having CHD by the age of 50, and women with FH have a 30% chance of having CHD by the age of 60.”

According to the author  Dr Pejic, “Patients identified as having FH should be counseled about therapeutic lifestyle changes and should take high-dose potent statins to attain 50% LDL-C reductions. Patients with severe FH may benefit from add-on therapy with other cholesterol lowering medications and LDL apheresis. Children with homozygous FH and extremely elevated LDL-C levels may be candidates for orthotopic liver transplantation.”

The Nurses for Nurses Network has a great range of Nursing Education and Nursing activities  including Webinars, Webinar Recordings, Quizzes and downloads that are free with membership. The sessions are focused on Nurses who need to know about contemporary Nursing practice   in the ‘real world’ where Nurses are often time poor and resource limited!

 

F hypecholesterolemia

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *